From Saturday 17th October, York will have a COVID-19 alert level of HIGH. As a business, we fall into this HIGH alert level, but Dean’s Garden Centre at York and The Bothy Coffee Shop will remain OPEN! Our Scarborough Garden Centre and The Gardener’s Choice Coffee Shop are not effected by the COVID-19 alert level change and therefore remain OPEN as normal!
Please note that Government Guidelines must be followed, therefore separate households are NOT permitted to meet socially with friends and family indoors, unless you have formed a support bubble at our York Garden Centre. Our Scarborough Garden Centre remains in the MEDIUM tier, therefore separate households can still meet indoors in groups of up to 6 people.
We are doing everything we can to ensure that your experience at Dean’s Garden Centre is as enjoyable as possible, whilst operating in a COVID-secure manner, so please ensure you follow the Government Guidelines and listen to our Door Greeter for any updated information and ensure you follow the one-way system we have in place.
We appreciate your patience and co-operation during these times and adhering to our COVID-19 measures in place.
Help us to help you – socially distanced shopping at Dean’s Garden Centre
As of Friday 24th July it was made mandatory for customers who entered Shops and Supermarkets to wear a face covering, therefore we politely request that you wear a face covering within the Garden Centre, unless you are exempt from wearing one, as set out in the Government Guidelines. We appreciate your cooperation with this. Please ensure you wear your face covering properly, covering both your nose and mouth.
Here are some of the social distancing measures we’ve put in place to help customers and our staff to keep safe when visiting the Garden Centre and Coffee Shop.
If you are planning a visit, we’d love to see you, and we truly appreciate your custom but when visiting please remember:
- The Garden Centre is open from 9.00am to 5.00pm Monday – Saturday and from 10.00am to 4.30pm on a Sunday (Browsing only until 10.30am). The Bothy at our York Garden Centre and The Gardener’s Choice Coffee Shop at Scarborough are now OPEN!
- Ideally only 2 individuals per household. This will allow more shoppers in the Garden Centre at any one time, however we realise if you are visiting The Bothy or Gardener’s Choice Coffee Shop you may be in a larger group.
- Children. If you are accompanied by children you are responsible for supervising them at all times and ensuring that social distancing guidelines are followed at all times and if you are visiting The Bothy or Gardener’s Choice Coffee Shop that they remain seated.
- Have your shopping list ready. Our helpful staff can direct you to where your required items are within the Garden Centre.
- Be respectful to our staff and other shoppers. We have two metre floor markers at the tills and reminders throughout the Garden Centre. Let’s all give each other space.
- Please pay by credit / debit card if possible. We are especially encouraging contactless payments, but we are still accepting payment by gift vouchers, gift cards and cash.
- We are still limiting the number of customers in the Garden Centre at any one time but the numbers have been increased due to the re-opening of the Coffee Shops. The tables both inside and outside have been distanced from each other. We have a designated queuing area outside and there are markers every 2 metres to help remind everyone to respect each other’s personal space. We will be operating a one out, and one in system when we get to maximum capacity in the Garden Centre.
- We have a one-way system on the main pathways. Our staff will be happy to guide and direct customers if required.
- Please DO NOT enter the Garden Centre if you have any symptoms of COVID-19 including a high temperature or a new, continuous cough. We have clear signs at the entrance doors regarding this.
Trolleys will be cleaned and sanitised by our staff, after each customer has returned their trolley. In addition, to further support social distancing, we have installed perspex screens at the Information desk and checkouts. As a business we are ensuring that additional cleaning of phones, staff radios, door handles, stair banisters, and credit card machines is regularly taking place to help keep our staff and customers safe.
We are closely monitoring advice and updates given by the government, NHS and WHO.
We have now resumed our usual delivery days and prices. Please follow the link for more information. Changes to Home Deliveries
Your local, family run Garden Centre
Dean’s Garden Centre is a family run business serving local gardeners for over 50 years. Our York store in Stockton-on-the-Forest was opened in 1968 by Mr & Mrs Dean and the centre has gone from strength to strength growing to cover more than four acres.
In 1986 Dean’s decided to expand further and bought a former cut flower nursery in Scarborough and is now home to another successful garden centre.
We produce our own spring and summer bedding plants, herbaceous perennials and vegetable plants from our nursery site located just a short distance away from the York store. In the run up to Christmas we also produce an excellent crop of cyclamen.
We also have two popular coffee shops, ‘The Bothy’ at York and ‘Gardener’s Choice’ at Scarborough which serve hot and cold meals, drinks and snacks all year round so you can make a trip to see us as a day out for the whole family.
Dean’s is very much a family firm. When Mr & Mrs Dean retired in 1993 their 3 children took over the day to day running of the business and we are proud of being a local family firm with strong roots in the community.