York - 01904 400141
Scarborough - 01723 361814

Charity of the Year

Dean’s is proud of its roots in the community and we think its important to show our appreciation by supporting local charities. Every year our staff nominate a Charity of the Year and since 2002 we have raised over £321,000 for a range of good causes.

If you would like to find more about the charities we have raised money for in recent years, please click here.

Charity of the Year 2021

Due to the Coronavirus pandemic hitting us in 2020, the decision was made to keep St Leonard’s Hospice, York and St Catherine’s Hospice, Scarborough as our Charity of the Year for 2021. We hope you will join us in supporting these two great charities and donate money where possible.

St Leonard’s Hospice, York
St Catherine’s Hospice, Scarborough





St Leonard’s and St Catherine’s are delighted to have been nominated by the staff of Dean’s Garden Centre and chosen by the partners as their Charity of the Year for 2021.

St Leonard’s Hospice, York

“St Leonard’s Hospice is an independent charity, providing specialist palliative care and support for local people with life limiting illnesses. We have an In-patient Unit, Sunflower Centre and Hospice@Home service. In this relaxed and friendly environment, every patient is recognised and treated as an individual. With our support patients are able to enjoy the best possible quality of life. Our care also extends to support families and carers.

In addition to a team of highly experienced doctors and nurses, we have specialists in a wide range of roles including complementary therapy, Lymphoedema care, physiotherapy, social work, bereavement, occupational therapy and spiritual care.

Our care is free of charge to patients and their families but not free to provide. As a charity we rely heavily on the generosity of the public to raise just over £5.8 million each year to run St Leonard’s Hospice. This equates to £663 for every hour of every day. Although St Leonard’s does get some public funding the majority of the running costs have to be raised from donations and fundraising by the local community – businesses, groups and individuals. Legacies are by far our greatest source of income.”


St Catherine’s Hospice, Scarborough

“Saint Catherine’s provides care and support at home and in the hospice for adults with a terminal illness, and to their families, carers and friends.

Our services work with patients to provide support and care that will allow a patient to remain as active as possible and make the most of every day, in the place where a patient chooses to be.

We serve communities across a 1,600 square mile area covering Scarborough, Whitby, Filey, Hunmanby, Ryedale, Bridlington and Driffield working with over 3,000 patients, families and carers each year.

All the care we provide is free of charge. Each year we need around £5.5m to deliver all our services. Over 70% of this comes from the wonderful support and generosity of our local communities. We receive the other 30% of our money from the local health and social care commissioners and we are grateful for their ongoing support.”


Picture taken January 2020, before the Coronavirus Pandemic and Lockdown